Sunday, June 1, 2008

[Beijing] Culture Shock... -Absorbers

Naturally, one of the very first things I see after stepping off of the plane to China is....


Starbucks.

... Which, upon a second glance, is neighboring none other than... a KFC. Didn't I just fly away from the West for the last 13 hours?

My (coolest) uncle, who lives in California, has a few connections here and there. Being the cool uncle, he arranged for us to be picked up by a second cousin of his and an extra (to drive another car for our big luggage) to take us straight to our hotel so that we wouldn't have to flag down a taxi after coming right off the plane.

The extra guy made it there first, and we found him by reading all the signs people were holding up at the exit for expected pick-upees. He waited with us until the second cousin could get there. The four of us were sitting on some airport benches, waiting, when from the extra's pocket comes a very sharp,

"... SOOO, I'll tell you what I want, what I realleh realleh want! SO tell me what you want, what you realleh realleh!--"

And as he turned away to answer his cell phone, I burst out laughing and just thought... You've got to be kidding me.

Culture shock-absorbers? Well thanks, China. That's very considerate of you.

No comments: